Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Most Important Question You'll Ever Ask

 When I first started playing poker, I was consumed by the game.  Every hand I held juiced my heart rate.  I became rigid and nervous.  As the pots swelled my head swam.  I couldn't think half of the time and these were the situations that I needed to be thinking deeply.  These were the situations that were going to make me or break me. My emotions controlled me.  I watched as my chips flew into the pot with no reason behind them.  I was a gambler.

That was a few years ago and luck made me a break even player.  It was not until I was able to ask myself the right question did I really have a breakthrough in my play.

Why?

Now before I make any action at the table, I ask myself "Why?" but the question is only as effective as the answer.  To be successful at the table, my answer must never be something like "Oh I've been so unlucky today, my luck is surely coming on this hand!" or "If I hit this card I will win a ton of money!"  Those answers are trash.  If my reasoning is based on odds of the pot, call ranges, value ranges, positive expected value, or psychological analysis of my opponent, then I can decide whether the action is correct.  My session winrate has gone from 45-50% to around 85%.

In many ways, the poker table is a microcosm of life.  Imagine if we took the time to ask ourselves "Why?" before taking every significant action in our life.

The Wrong Answer: Doing What's Good For You Over What Feels Good


Now it's easy to completely sabotage this decision making process if you lack discipline.  For example, when it comes to choosing what to eat, many people rely on their primal instinct and say "EAT FOOD NOW, ME HUNGRY, I NEED EAT" and then devour the first thing thrown at their face.  Some of these people are not satisfied with their weight.  Maybe they're athletes striving to become the best in their sport.  Maybe they have health problems and want to lower their cholesterol or avoid heartburn.  If we stop to ask ourselves "Why?" we can get closer to the correct choices.
 
Unfortunately, humans love to do what feels good over what's good for them, specifically by ingesting large amounts of salt and sugar.  Watch how asking "Why?" and not accepting the wrong answers get us to the right choices.

"I'm hungry I'm going to go get a Pizza."

Why?

"Because I like it, it makes me feel good."

Not a good enough answer.

"Maybe I'll cook some chicken at home."

Why?

"Because I'm working out daily and a healthy dinner will compliment the lifestyle I want to live, plus it will save me money to stop eating out."

That's a good enough answer.

By going through the "Why?" process, and having the discipline to not just go for "what feels good" we can get closer to those dreams.

This process doesn't just work for dieting, it can work for any action you take.  Why am I going to go party and get drunk tonight? Why am I going to call my ex?  Why am I going to sit on the couch and watch TV instead of doing my workout?  Why am I going to play video games instead of studying for my exam?  Why am I going to sleep in?  Why am I going to stay up late?  Why am I going to call off work?  Why am I going to buy a new TV?  Why am I going to use my credit card?

If the answers to these questions are not advancing you towards your goals, if the answers are not allowing you to unlock your unlimited potential, then you're gambling with something much more valuable than money.  You're gambling with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment